Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tender Mercies

If you've read any of my family's blogs lately you can get a small sense of the enormous loss that we all feel. It comforts me to read that others are struggling with ups and downs as well. One moment I think that I am finally past the overwhelming sense of grief, and then something will bring it all back. It really is a tribute to my Grandfather that he is soooo missed. Just writing this I am brought to tears again. I have no regrets or 'wished I could haves' or anything like that. I am just sad for empty place in my life that I will feel each time a holiday or special moment triggers a memory of Grandpa. I think having him leave us has caused me to reflect on all of the amazing memories I have of him and then I realize just what an amazing person and example he was. Anyway, yesterday my Visiting Teacher called me at 8:00 in the morning to say that she wouldn't be able to make her appointment to visit later because her Grandmother had died that morning and she had to drive to Michigan. I wanted to jump through the phone and give her a hug!! It was a very profound moment for me because as I talked to her on the phone for several minutes and we shared our stories with each other, I realized that the Lord allows us to go through trials so that we can be made stronger and he can use us to help others. If I hadn't just been through a similar experience I could only have offered a simple, "I'm sorry" instead of the genuine intense heartfelt love I felt for my visiting teacher. I don't know if I was able to help her feel any better, but it made ME feel better. Compassion isn't a gift that you can just be given, you have to gain it through experience, often ones that may seem unpleasant. So I guess that I am just thankful for the small ways that the Lord shows us he cares about us. I am now picturing my silly Aunt Crystal standing in the grocery store with a carrot for a mic saying, "I'd like to bury my testimony. . . " (for all you Watson relatives :) But seriously, I am so thankful for the tiny moments when the Spirit makes its quiet way into the chaos of my life.

4 comments:

Ananda Henriksen said...

Oh my goodness, sometimes I just love Watsoness:) Oh Crystal. I love that I only remember Grandpa smiling, laughing and loving. He was always joyful:0)!! It sure makes me want to be more like the granddaughter he deserves, ya know.

Bridget said...

Perfectly well said. :) Sometimes I feel like you reach into my heart and type it out. :)
I wonder if Crystal remembers that, lol!

Debany Henriksen said...

Oh Brittany, You have such a gift with words as your Dad does. I have had a verrry difficult time expressing myself. Dad sure was & is my exemplar. Having known him makes me want to be a better person. Pres. David O. Mckay said " If you meet a person in whose presence you feel a desire to achieve, who inspires you to be your best, such a person is worthy of your love & awakening love in your heart." That is what I felt after 1st hearing your Grandfather speak at your Dads "homecoming" and I still feel I want to be a better person whenever I think about him. Love You!

The Shafer Family said...

Thank you for sharing that Britt. I've been having similar thoughts and feelings. You do have a way of putting things into words. Love you!