Saturday, February 28, 2009

Sick Kids and Ice Cream

This morning I have already dug into the rocky road double chocolate ice cream. My kids have been sick for over a week now. It started with Clay and unfortunately they all got it. Since Clay is still coughing, the end is not in sight. Luka has had a high fever for three days now and isn't sleeping at all. Fortunately Brett gave me a break last night and watched the kids so I could run to the store and buy some much needed groceries. Like the rocky road ice cream. My Grandpa was on my mind last night for some reason, and again this morning as I dug into the ice cream. I LOVE ice cream! I mean, I have a dairy allergy and I can't stay away from the stuff!! And as I was nibbling this morning I was thinking about how my Dad loves ice cream, and my Grandpa also loved his ice cream. Grandpa and Grandma always had a freezer full of it in the garage. So I choose to believe that loving ice cream is genetic. It helps me connect to people I love and it makes me feel better. :) (although I doubt Dad would munch on rocky road- nuts yuck, huh Dad? maybe just some good old chocolate marshmallow?)

6 comments:

Lauriann said...

yup, vanilla ice cream and a big bowl will always remind me of dad.

Mom said the days before he passed, he was eating treats he hadn't in a long time. It seemed as if he knew he wouldn't be enjoying them for a while.

Ananda Henriksen said...

I'm convinced it's genetic, Has there ever been a time when a Henriksen could pass up ice cream.

Bridget said...

Oh Britt, I'm sorry you guys are all so sick! :( Do you need anything? An extra humidifier? Miss you, and hope they all get feeling better soon and that you get some sleep.

You know, that completely explains our obession with ice cream... genetics. :)

There was always a tub of BYU vanilla in grandma and grandpa's freezer. I can still imagine the smell of their garage too (not a bad one, but one that brings back memories of going out there to get treats and fudgecicils and orangecicles)... they always had caramel too.

Wren Johnson said...

I'm sorry the kids are sick, Britt. I there anything I can do? If I come down this weekend I might be able to babysit on Saturday for you. Yeah, ice cream is delicious! Lately, I've been to try getting a white cake mix and mixing it with water and then pouring it in a bowl of vanila ice cream. Yum! lol.

The Shafer Family said...

I didn't know that your dad loves ice cream too. I always loved that Grandpa loved ice cream - Vanilla was his favorite. Good memories.

Bridget said...

So tonight I just ate one of those big ol king kong ice cream cups from Maceys and now my tummy is in knots and it made me think of you... it sure tasted good though!