Thursday, June 9, 2011

Michael McLean Speaks to My Anxious Heart (a little bit personal, and definitely sappy post I know)

Music has always touched my soul, and as I fight my battle with anxiety everyday, one of the best things I can do is listen to a little Michael McLean. I know, everyone knows his songs by heart right? But I feel like he must have had direct access to the words of my heart when he wrote some of his songs. When I feel small, alone, discouraged or like I just can't do it his songs honestly lift my spirit and calm my soul. Like "Stay With Me", heaven knows I have moments when it is clear that trusting the Lord is the only thing that will get me through. Or "Let it Go" which is what Brett wisely tells me all the time, after all, 'all that is worth saving is love ... if it's not love, simply let it go.' "A Distant Serenade" - 'be what only you can be, strengthen each other!' And I know from personal experience how much someone's inspired visit and words of comfort can mean when you feel overwhelmed, so "One Heart in the Right Place," speaks right to me. "Hold on the Light Will Come" is probably my favorite, it came to my head when I really needed to hear it:

"The message of this moment is so clear
And as certain as the rising of the sun
If your world is filled with darkness, doubt and fear
Just hold on, hold on, the light will come

Everyone who's ever tried and failed
Stands much taller when the victory's won
And those who've been in darkness for a while
Kneel much longer when the light has come.

It's a message every one of us must learn
That the answers never come without a fight
And when it seems you've struggled far too long
Just hold on, hold on, there will be light

Hold on. Hold on. the light will come.
If you feel trapped inside a never-ending night
If you've forgotten how it feels to feel the light
If you're half-crazy thinking you're the only one
who's afraid the light will never really come -
Just hold on. Hold on. The light will come!

The message of this moment is so clear
And as certain as the rising of the sun
If your world is filled with darkness, doubt and fear
Just hold on, hold on, the light will come."

When I saw him perform at EFY I remember liking his songs and feeling the spirit of them, but now I really feel them. I've lived them. And knowing that he has been diagnosed with clinical depression too really makes me feel the connection to his songs. Mostly I just love how listening to his music helps me remember what really matters in life, and that we are all just doing the best that we can. So much drama in life, but it will all work out, and "even when it's hard to find the words, your prayers are heard -you're not alone."

3 comments:

Hubba's Thoughts said...

Your post isn't sappy! Everyone has something in life that helps them feel better. For me it's singing while I play the piano, for my Brother it's Dave Matthews Band. At least you've found something that helps!! Some people don't find that one thing!!

Bridget said...

I can still hear us on the phone... "Hold on to the light..." Yup, pretty much we are way too cool.

Lauriann said...

A beautiful message. And I loved talking with you today. It was exactly what I needed. :)